Search from Jeffrey's Blog

Monday, August 23, 2010

I'm Back Again!!!


Finally i'm back again in The Library but this time in Mid Valley.

For me, this is seems a simple job but yet uneasy to manage. I think i'm finally understand what's the concept that boss wanted to be in the Library. Unlike other club, Library is the place for you to chill out and chatting. Music that i played is just the background so that people in the Library don't have to shout/yell to talk with each other like other clubbing place. However, they had prepare an artist list for me to follow where some certain artist are prohibited. For example : boys band like backstreet boys, Westlife or Idols like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera or even Justin Bieber. The pumping songs like Black Eyed Peas and Lady Gaga also not allowed to play but soft Hip-Hop & RnB are fine. However, songs that too slow or "karaoke" type like Celine Dion, Enya or Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You are also not allowed. Moreover, songs that always played in other places like Hotel California, It's My Life, Zombie and etc are also avoid to play. This is extremely freak me out with their "blacklist". It's more limitation than The Library @ The Curve.

Somehow, there are some certain artist/song that boss hate are also not acceptable. For example Mariah Carey, Shakira, Rob Thomas ft. Santana - Smooth, Songs from Michael Jackson after 1984 are all not allowed to play. OMFG...this is really insane but yet i have to follow this rules. I never hate with this "blacklist" but i just don't understand why they have to set such limitation in order to create this culture in The Library @ Mid Valley. They're prefer 90's stuffs and i understand but later on, after filtering some of the artist, i really don't have too much songs to play and slowly we're also added some current pop/rock as well.

Why i said simple job? The songs that i play, i don't mix it but just chop and play. For them, it is a easy job and this can even do with PC with setting the playlist. At first i also think of that : Why boss need me to play these songs while the PC itself can do that. Later on, i also understand the flexibility of human is far different with the set programmed in PC. Why and How? For example : I can play to pumping retro songs if the crowd has more elder working adults or sometimes i can play more latest pop/rock if the crowd has more teenager in which i think PC cannot play the right music at the right time. Therefore, i'm trying hard to make a better music flow. Which mean, even though my music are not in the mix but i creating the mood or feel that can keep them sitting on the chairs. I think the main challenge in DJing in The Library compare with other club is :-
  • In club, the music has to make them stand up and dance
  • In Library, the music is keeping them remain on their seat and yet staying longer

I feel grateful that boss also kinda tolerance to me (at least he did not force me to make announcement) We all know my announcing/public speaking skill is sucks and yet i know boss prefer the DJ to announce the promotion that we have. I'm suppose need to have someone who can make the announcement but then where i can get an Emcee just to make announcement there and yet i have to pay them myself?

I'm always worrying my music is boring. I'm trying to play different style on every single days and the experience was gain from this way. Sometimes, it does getting good result but sometimes not. Sometimes, it also made me feeling bad if i can't play the song that customer wanted. I promised a customer that i will play Justin Bieber - Baby for her (that time boss said soft RnB is fine). One of the boss, Ashwin shouting at me "Change this song!!!" right after i played and then Justin Bieber's song was started in the blacklist since that day. I can hear from the bar, that lady said to the bar tender "The DJ is bad, bad DJ! Promised me to play the song but never play..." I was feeling so bad when i heard this, i'm so wish to explain to her but then i did not do that. I think it is not rational to explain to the rest what am i doing and why i not do that and etc. I just can apologized to them from my heart. Since after that night, i never seen that lady come again...

I met DJ Vick few days ago who will going to replace me during my off day. Nick a.k.a. DJ Roundhead was strongly recommend him because of his music knowledge. I do hope he is a right person to replace me and yet he is friendly (this also remind me how i'm started working in The Library when Ben asking me to spin for him). Vick told me, i must have my own style. Own style...this thing was always in my mind for long time. For which DJ doesn't wish to have their own style? Sometimes i wondering, is the crowd should listen whatever the DJ playing OR the DJ playing whatever the crowd wanted OR DJ playing what the boss wanted? What are the style i can do in the Library? I'm doubt...Nicky also told me once that every DJ should have their own anthem but what is mine?

Last night, i was really damn moody after listened Oshin's advice. Suppose my feeling getting better when i reached The Library but then the customers piss me off with what i hate the most. Got a customer request a song, One Republic - The Secret and i told him i played before. He keep on request it and asking the bar tender to talk with me. WTF!!! I hate this kind of selfish person where i already told them i'm not going to repeat the songs and yet they do not know how to respect my decision. Some even worst was the waiter there pretend customer to request song. Yes, i understand everyone down there like to listen the songs they like but not in this way.

Oh ya...i've resigned my job in NZMY. I really do a lot of changes because of this job. Like what Nicky said "save your complaints for your girlfriend if you cant handle the heat and stress of the DJ Console" I'm tiring with 2 jobs day and night but i enjoying it!

Outlook of The Library






























The Bar






























Live Band - Russell Curtis

No comments:

Post a Comment